April 29, 2013

Gabbi Don't Preach #1



The Origin of Love has got to be one of the most amazing and well-written songs in history for me. The first time I heard it I got so annoyed since the guy singing had such a low voice and I couldn't sing along hehehe and if I sung in a higher octave, it would be too high for me to reach. I chucked it to my list of 'Unsingable and Unforgiving Songs' and grew quite bitter towards it but then, looking back, I realized that because I wouldn't be able to drown out the original singer with my own voice since I couldn't reach it either way, I had the opportunity to really and I mean reaaaally listen to the song...and fall in love with everything about it.

When the earth was still flat,
And the clouds made of fire,
And mountains stretched up to the sky,
Sometimes higher,
Folks roamed the earth
Like big rolling kegs.
They had two sets of arms.
They had two sets of legs.
They had two faces peering
Out of one giant head
So they could watch all around them
As they talked; while they read.
And they never knew nothing of love.
It was before the origin of love.

The origin of love

And there were three sexes then,
One that looked like two men
Glued up back to back,
Called the children of the sun.
And similar in shape and girth
Were the children of the earth.
They looked like two girls
Rolled up in one.
And the children of the moon
Were like a fork shoved on a spoon.
They were part sun, part earth
Part daughter, part son.

The origin of love

Now the gods grew quite scared
Of our strength and defiance
And Thor said,
"I'm gonna kill them all
With my hammer,
Like I killed the giants."
And Zeus said, "No,
You better let me
Use my lightening, like scissors,
Like I cut the legs off the whales
And dinosaurs into lizards."
Then he grabbed up some bolts
And he let out a laugh,
Said, "I'll split them right down the middle.
Gonna cut them right up in half."
And then storm clouds gathered above
Into great balls of fire

And then fire shot down
From the sky in bolts
Like shining blades
Of a knife.
And it ripped
Right through the flesh
Of the children of the sun
And the moon
And the earth.
And some Indian god
Sewed the wound up into a hole,
Pulled it round to our belly
To remind us of the price we pay.
And Osiris and the gods of the Nile
Gathered up a big storm
To blow a hurricane,
To scatter us away,
In a flood of wind and rain,
And a sea of tidal waves,
To wash us all away,
And if we don't behave
They'll cut us down again
And we'll be hopping round on one foot
And looking through one eye.

Last time I saw you
We had just split in two.
You were looking at me.
I was looking at you.
You had a way so familiar,
But I could not recognize,
Cause you had blood on your face;
I had blood in my eyes.
But I could swear by your expression
That the pain down in your soul
Was the same as the one down in mine.
That's the pain,
Cuts a straight line
Down through the heart;
We called it love.
So we wrapped our arms around each other,
Trying to shove ourselves back together.
We were making love,
Making love.
It was a cold dark evening,
Such a long time ago,
When by the mighty hand of Jove,
It was the sad story
How we became
Lonely two-legged creatures,
It's the story of
The origin of love.
That's the origin of love.

I should probably type down my thoughts and such about this song. But now I feel like I shouldn't. Like I should just leave you be with your thoughts since the lyrics above are magical enough hehe and that's what I should probably do and that's what I'll do..in a bit hehe after I add in my 1 cent (because 2 cents would be too long). 

This song for me just exposes the true beauty of love in general and loving another person. I don't believe in the whole meant to be chorva wherein you'll find someone and poof (it became koko krunch joke hehehe) everything will work out because you guys were made for each other, you guys are made by the sparkly gods of Mt. Olympus and all you need is love yadda yadda. I don't like that. I believe that yes just like what was pointed out in the song, we do have someone made for us buuuuuuuuut it really is still up to us whether things work out or not romantically, whether we hold onto them or we let go to maybe pursue our careers and stuff I don't know. All I know is that love is beautiful because it can be very happy happy like everything is good and it can be very painful like everything is bad bad but in spite of everything, it still is the best thing in the world. 

I'm just a very pubertial teenage girl.

But since we are talking about love, let me just say that life is good and that we should follow rule #32 which is to enjoy the little things. Hug your mum, tell your dad you love him before he goes off to work or before YOU go off to work, bake, open the door for your sibling or something hehe and sit outside and just relish in the feeling of the sun on your skin (but not too much you might get heat stroke and the police would see my post and I'd be somewhat responsible for your death not that I'm saying you're gonna die already because I don't want that but if you're a rapist or a serial killer and you're reading this A) maybe you should die already? (I don't mean to sound rude or anything but if you're not gonna change your ways and keep hurting and killing people then you might as well go poof! but please if you can, please change yourself thank you) B) if you got offended and now want to murder me, please don't, close the tab, erase the history and forgive me hehehehe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for making my interactive diary dreams come true! ♥